Saturday, December 24, 2011

Working {December 23rd 2011}

Last week I started my first real job. I am a Laundry Assistant/House Keeper at HM an Assisted living home. I enjoy the job even though it gets kinda boring in the middle of the night. My co-workers are pretty cool, and I love the residents that I get to see during my hours. Which at 11pm-7am, those kinda bite! My sleep schedule is getting a little messed up! Its like having sleepovers every night, but they are less fun and a whole lot smaller. Oh, and no chick flicks.
But like I sad, I love the residents! They are pretty sweet. One of them cracks me up, I've been told that every time you go into his room he'll ask this one question, "Got a cookie?" Which makes me think of my good friend EMC, who we often call cookie monster. And from other stories I've heard about this resident he is 100% EMC's future! That brings me great entertainment.
Another resident reminds me of this guy named Bill, who is my 'adopted' grandpa who pasted away about  or 8 years ago. I think this resident maybe my favorite one. Yes, I've only been there for a week and I already have a favorite resident. I can't really explain him to you. He is just a very sweet old man, that I've fallen in love with after a week.
There are a couple ladies here that I really enjoy, too. I went into one lady's room in the morning and the first thing she said was "oh good, it's a girl." She doesn't let the guy who works night shift help her get dressed because, and I quote "I'm not married to him" I thought that was pretty darn cute. And I totally understand what she means though. BUt yeah there are two ladies that need help getting dressed in the morning. They are both super sweet. So far I've only met the nice residents, I've been told a couple of them can be kinda snappy, but I think they are all pretty nice. Which makes my job enjoyable. I'm hoping that I keep enjoying this job even a year from now. And that this isn't just a new job high. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Another thing I'm surprised abut with this job is that maybe after a while here I may want to go to school for something medical. Which would be so weird. I said at one point that I'd never work with the elderly, and look at me now. Crazy! Its mind blowing how God changes what I think should be set on my heart.
This job is really a gift from God though. At some point late November my old boss(I use to nanny) told me that she maybe quitting her job soon. And no joke, the night before my dad told me about the job opening at HM. Then, about two weeks before my boss's last day a lady at HM put her 2 weeks in. One week later I started training! I'd have to be completely blind to not realize that was God's hand at work. Oh, and the hours don't get in the way of anything I already do, like church or Bible study. Though yes, my sleeping is getting messed up, I'll get that figured out soon then I'll be set.
While I sit at work I have a lot of free time, too. And that's is when I get to do this! I had so much trouble finding to write up blog posts, but now I have the time to! Yay! So get ready for lots more random ramblings!

Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment